We are excited that the Galley will be reopening tomorrow the 23rd and look forward to seeing everyone who has been off island or not been by the Club in a few weeks. The bathroom remodel is well underway, but we will have to be patient until it is finished. The same can be said of the dock. The middle section of the pier is nearly complete, and the “T” portion pilings will be driven in early September. Thank you to Chris Rosenberg for all of his efforts in leading the dock project.
2019 September - December
Registration for the fall program is LIVE and only available online through our Clubspot page. Please bear with us in this first official round of online registration. We are excited to streamline the way we register for program at the club and appreciate your support.
Three notes about registration:
1. The price you see is the non-member rate. STYC members will get a discount (member rate) later on in the registration process - you will need your member number for this.
2. The waiver will come in a separate email. Please be sure to complete this part of the process. We have found that these can end up in your spam, so please check.
3. Multiple days are multiple registrations, HOWEVER, you can put all desired classes in your cart and check out one time. Yeah!
Information about the programs is below.
Please let me know if you have any problems.
The STYC is excited to welcome Louis Evon to our after school tennis program. Originally from Connecticut, Lou has been living, working, and playing on St. Thomas for over 30 years and decided to make it his permanent home six years ago.
After school tennis will run for 14 weeks from September 3 through December 13. With one make up week on the calendar to accommodate weather. Class schedules are available on the club tennis calendar. Online registration and payment as well as a signed online waiver are required by September 1. Non club members under the age of 12 are allowed to participate in two sessions or one calendar year. Junior membership is required for all Academy players.
**classes are scheduled during VIMSIA fall break. Families that know they will be off island please reach out prior to registration
Ages 4 to 6
– This class is for the child that is excited to give tennis a try; introducing the sport in a fun and relaxed manner. The kids will learn the grips and strokes using racquets that are appropriately sized for them. We use the mini nets and low compression balls. The players begin with rolling the balls back and forth and progress to feeding balls to each other and rallying. They learn to orient themselves to the side of the ball and to target shots.
Ages 6+ to 10
– This class is for the beginning tennis player that may or may not have had an introduction to the game before. They learn the correct grips and stroke patterns and begin to try to rally with each other. As a guideline, the kids at this level can hit the ball for the most part standing from between the service line to the 60′ court line. More movement is introduced into this group as well as maintaining balance and body rotation.
Ages 9 to 13
This class is a combination of abilities as it is the springboard to our Academy program. We work on the mechanics of all the strokes and footwork, as well as focusing on rallying and consistency. There will be coaches using hand and racquet feeding in conjunction with live ball drills where the kids work with each other. Many of the kids in this group are beginning league play.
Ages 12 to 17
This class is geared toward the players that are currently participating in league play as well as venturing into challenger and open tournaments at the USTA level. The player wants to play competitive tennis and is prepared to work very hard and commit to attending two practices per week. Match strategy, mental toughness proper footwork, fitness and handling pressure will all be a part of this workout.
Monday - 3:30 4:30 private lessons available
Tuesday - 3:30 - 4:30 Intermediate Tennis $15/$18
4:30 - 6:00 Academy $18
Wednesday - 3:30 - 4:30 Private lessons available
Thursday - 3:30 - 4:00 Little Beginners $10/$15
Friday - 3:30 - 4:30 Beginners $15/$18
5:00 - 6:00 Intermediate $15/$18
4:00 - 5:00 Beginners $15/$18
private/semi private lessons will be scheduled and paid for by the session please email to set up time with the pro.