It was another great week of sailing at the STYC! We are thrilled to see so many families involved with the Hobie Race night and Saturday afternoon "free sail." If you want to get in on the fun be sure to touch base with Forrest and get checked out!
The Antilles High School Team put up a solid fight at the Mallory Qualifier this weekend in North Carolina. The team finished fourth in a very close regatta. Next weekend, they head off to Ft. Lauderdale for the Baker Qualifier.
The calendar committee is getting together on Wednesday May 11th at 5:30. If you are interested in joining us, please let us know.
Last call for NOB life vests! The order will go out this week. If you have not already been in touch with Ann, please reach out ASAP. firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for the week:
1. YES, there is sailing this week!!
2. You can find our old emails here: http://www.styc.club/junior-sailing-log
3. You can find the calendar here: http://www.styc.club/club-calendar.html
4. We have a few openings the last 3 weeks of summer camp! If you know someone that was interested, please let them know!
It was great to see the club back in action this week! The light breeze was a welcome change and a great opportunity for everyone to get some light wind practice.
The opti team had a great weekend in STX, Not to mention, an epic boat ride over! You can find results here: http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/12278
Thank you to the opti race team and C420 sailors for staying flexible with the schedule. Opti race WILL train Wednesday this week and C420 will train Thursday. We still need to schedule the C420 makeup class from last week.
There IS sailing over carnival!
The Antilles High School Team heads to North Carolina this week for the fleet race national qualifier. We are extremely proud of all their hard work and wish them good luck! You can follow the results here: http://scores.hssailing.org
Believe it or not, it is almost time to start working on the 2016-2017 schedule. If you are interested in working on this please let us know.
Family hobie wave sailing is a thing! If you haven't had the opportunity to get out with the family yet and think you want a little more practice join Forrest on Sunday mornings for the $35 Hobie wave clinic. All skill levels welcome.
Note for the week:
1. Opti race team sails Wednesday
2. C420 class is Thursday
3. Hobie Wave RACE NIGHT Thursday 4-6
The STYC was jamming this week! The breeze was full on for this week's STIR event. Hopefully you were able to catch some of the great racing on the water and great music on shore.
There were lots of youth sailors out there STIRing it UP as well. We talk a lot about our youth sailors competing in youth events but opportunities like joining a big boat team or putting together a teen crew play a huge role in what sets STYC youth sailors apart from their stateside peers. We were thrilled to see so many kids on the water! Congratulations Ryan, Robert, Sam, Caroline, Chris, and Jonny, we hope you had a great time!
you can see full results here:
Meanwhile in Ecuador..... our youth sailors were sailing in a youth event! Mia Nicolosi, Julian van den Dreissche, Gillian Perrell, Mathieu Dale (stx) and Steven Hardee (stx) made up Team ISV at the Opti South American Championships in Salinas. After 6 days of racing Team ISV stood on the podium with a BRONZE medal finish in team racing. In fleet racing, Mia Nicolosi came away with a 4th place finish overall and was the top girl! STYC Jr. Sailor Rayne Duff, sailing for team IVB, finished the 6 days 10th overall! You can find full results here: http://www.sudopti2016.org
Notes for the week:
1. SPRING REGISTRATION is due this week! Please be sure that you have returned your paperwork and payment.
2. Please use http://www.styc.club/club-calendar.html and make note of the upcoming sailing classes.
3. Early registration for the IOR ends April 15th! http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/11670
STYC opti sailors were a force at the Sunshine State Championship this weekend in Key Biscayne Florida. The STYC team was 10 sailors strong at this event! Mia Nicolosi, Rayne Duff, Julian van den Driessche, Victoria Flatley, Max van den Driessche and Katha Majette were joined by Nathan Haycraft and Ryan Lettsome from the BVI as well as Mathieu Dale and Steven Hardee from STX. We are thrilled with ALL the sailors efforts this weekend. Mia Nicolosi and Rayne Duff were dominant in the 195 boat fleet. On day 2, Mia solidified the championship with with 4 bullets in 4 races! Rayne had a stellar day 2 as well with a 1,2,1 and a podium finish! STYC on fire! You can find the full results here: http://www.usoda.org
This group is headed to Ecuador tomorrow for the South American Championship. Mia, Julian, Mathieu, and Steven will be joined by Gillian to represent ISV! Rayne will represent IVB. You can follow the action here: http://www.sudopti2016.org/index.php
The Antilles High School team are the only ones on the water this week as we get the club ready for the STIR event March 24-27.
Notes for the week:
1. Please send us your spring registration forms :)
2. Don't forget summer camp!
What a great weekend for the VIODA regatta! With over 40 sailors from STT, STJ, STX, BVI, and Puerto Rico it was quite an event! You can find results here: http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/11781
Post opti sailors, check out the attached "After The Opti" pdf put together by some of our parents. It is great to hear from the parents of sailors that have gone through the program They are a great resource.
Have you made your summer sailing plans?
Check out sailnewport and the Brooke Gonzalez Clinic. This is one of THE BEST dinghy clinics to get your summer going!! http://www.sailnewport.org/Clinics/gonzalezclinic
AND US Sailing Championships. We are AREA B. The qualifier for the Bemis (double handed - club 420) and the SMYTH (singlehanded - laser radial) will be held at American Yacht Club in rye NY July 16 and 17. Sailors can then roll into Larchmont race week if they want to make a week trip. The qualifier for the SEARS (triple handed - lightening) is still up in the air but we will let you know as soon as we hear. You can find the NOR for the CHAMPIONSHIP here: http://www.ussailing.org/racing/championships/youth/juniorchamps/
Notes for the week:
1. We are in the last week of the winter session before we break for STIR!
2. Opti Race team is off to Florida States next week before they head to South Americans! We will send you links to results as we get them.
3. Please find the April - June Registration attached! Opti Green & Race sailors, be sure to tell us what regattas you will attend in addition to training days.
4. Summer Camp! Week 2 is FULL. Week 1 is almost full.
5. Don't forget about our website! styc.club is up to date! Use the calendar, or check here: http://www.styc.club/junior-sailing-log if you missed one of our emails.
Click here to download Spring registration forms
Click here to download "after the opti.."
Emmet Ward is a sailor from South Florida that has been a competitor at the St. Thomas International Opti Regatta for many years. Last year, after outgrowing the opti, Emmet came back to the VI and shot some great drone footage of our club and the final race of the Sea Star (TOTE) clinic. You can check out the video on our Facebook page:
or on YouTube
We are winding down our Winter sailing session! While our pee wee group had a limited time on the water this session we are excited by the many happy faces on Saturdays.
Registration for the April-June session will be out next week. Al the forms are re-writable and it is great for us if you fill them out digitally. Members will be invoiced and non members are asked to give the club and stop by to pay.
Adventure Sailing is GROWING! We are adding a second boat to the Friday class and adding an additional class on Wednesday!
Speaking of those Hobie Waves...... we have some great plans coming together to get more adult sailing at STYC. If you are already a sailor, check in with Greer and Forrest to see how you can get "checked out" to head out on the Hobie. Are you a non sailor? Let us know you are interested in learning, we have some adult hobie classes on the calendar! Thursday Night Hobie Racing is up next.
1. Antilles Night Under The Stars is this Thursday March 3rd. Please come out and support this great team. The invitation is attached.
2. Meet our OLYMPIANS! Saturday March 5th from 5:00-7:00 on the lower deck of the STYC. Cy Thompson and Thomas Barrows are headed to Rio! Let's help them with the last leg of the journey. $100 suggested donation. Airline miles make great donations as well. If you can't make it but would like to help, checks can be mailed to: VIRGIN ISLANDS SPORTS TRUST PO Box 502008 St. Thomas, VI 00805-2008
3. VIODA event March 5th & 6th. Come down and check out some great opti sailing action with sailors from all three Virgin Islands, BVI, and Puerto Rico!
4. Summer is just around the corner. Sailing at regattas in the states are a great way for our VI sailors to see big fleets and meet new friends. Let us know if you need help finding an event or two that will fit your sailor.
5. STYC camp is filling up! In fact, several weeks are full already. Non members, registration opens in April.
Have a great week!
We need to start with a shout out to everyone that supported such a great youth tennis tournament this weekend. Cate Morris was a rockstar with the 8 & under crowd and Heather Blum was a life saver in the office! Parent volunteers are essential to all our youth programs we can't thank you enough for your involvement. The tournament was a great opportunity for STYC youth players to meet friends from all over St. Thomas, St. John and even the BVI. It was incredible to watch these young players on the courts. Look for full results this week in the Daily News.
Teddy Nicolosi and Amanda Engeman are battling it out in Jensen Beach at C420 midwinters. This 103 boat fleet is extremely competitive with top sailors from all youth fleets meeting here. With one more day of racing you can find results and updates here: http://www.club420.org
Also in Florida this weekend STYC youth sailor alumni Thomas Barrows earned a place at the 2016 Olympics! Barrows, sailing with Joe Morris, will represent the USA in the 49er class. Fellow STYC youth sailing teammate Cy Thompson will be in Rio as well representing ISV in the Laser Class. We will be watching!
Our youngest sailors had great day of Hobie sailing on Saturday! Speaking of Hobie sailing.....did you notice we have a few new Hobie Waves on the beach? Please reach out to Greer and Forrest to see how you and your family can take out these boats! Don't let your kids have all the fun.
Notes for the week:
1. Next up for Opti sailors is the VIODA regatta. Is your sailor registered?
2. You can use the link below to register for the 2016 IOR. http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/11670
3. Car wash Friday Night to benefit the Antilles High School Team! Come for dinner, leave with a clean ride.
What a great weekend for STYC sailors!
The Antilles High School Team hosted Sailors from Ransom Everglades for a great weekend of team racing. These teams will meet again in April to fight for the opportunity to represent the SAISA district at the Baker National!
Meanwhile in Puerto Rico...... our opti sailors were killing it!
In the green fleet, Winn Majette earned the top spot edging out some tough local sailors! Way to go Winn!! Tanner Krysvgeld, Alejo DiBlasi, and Robbie Richards finished 5th, 6th, and 7th respectively in a fleet of over 20 sailors! We are extremely proud of their great sailing. Many thanks to Agustina for jumping in to coach the greenies.
On the championship line STYC sailor Rayne Duff took the top spot earning 6 bullets in 8 races. Hot on his heels, Mia Nicolosi finished second overall and took top honors in the blue fleet. Victoria Flatley finished 5th, Julian van den Driessche 7th, Gillian Perrell 8th, Caroline Sibilly 10th, Katha Majette 17th, and Max van den Dreissche finished 18th overall and FIRST in the white fleet! Way to go STYC!
Be sure to check out this month's Sailing World Magazine. St. Thomas Yacht Club junior sailor Sam Morrell is featured in an article by Gary Jobson. It is always great to see our sailors in print!
Notes for the week:
1. Saturday Sailing is ON!
2. The STYC is hosting a youth tennis tournament this weekend with the St. Thomas Racquet Club. Parking will be tight. This is a great opportunity to carpool with your friends.
3. Opti sailors, did you register for VIODA in March? Use the link below.
4. Speaking of registration..... don't forget about summer camp. Believe it or not there are several weeks that are already half full!
5. Mark your calendar! Car Wash Friday, February 19th to benefit the Antilles Sailing Team. Come for dinner, and drive away with a clean ride!
Lots of sailing going on this week! Our opti race team was training in full force this weekend! It was great to see so many opti sailors on the water Saturday& Sunday this week.
We are extremely proud of Mia Nicolosi and her great week in Oman at Mussanah Race week. With over 100 of the best opti sailors from around the world Mia finished 7th overall and was the 1st girl. You can see results here: http://www.mussanahraceweek.com/optimist-day-4-results/
Our pee wee "mini-session" was off to a great start. Remember, there are only 4 classes in this session. Be sure to check the calendar to see when your sailor is on the water next.
Speaking of the calendar….. don't forget to look here: http://www.styc.club to find the calendar as well as registration documents and old emails in our jr. sailing log. You can also find the registration for summer camp.
Thank you for continuing to support this great program!